Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?
Prompt Response: One time I had to persuade someone to do something was at the beginning of this school year when I was trying to convince my parents to drive me to and from school. I used pathos to try to convince them by explaining to them that I would stress in the afternoons over running to my bus to try to get a seat and explaining how bad it was sitting at the edge of a seat which made them feel bad for me. Additionally I added that if they drove me to school, I could sleep in more which is something that my mom wanted me to do since she thinks I wake up too early. Using pathos was very effective as they now drive me to and from school every day. It was effective since they didn't want me to have a hard time with the bus, especially since I've been complaining about it for the past 2 years since my bus is incredibly crowded.
Summary: Today in class we spoke about the origin of our names, reviewed our argument notes, and practiced using rhetorical appeals.
Reflection: I learned the importance of considering who your audience is when persuading people. I can use this knowledge to argue more effectively as adjusting to certain age groups can make my arguments more convincing.
Comments
Post a Comment